Sunday, April 18, 2010

St. Columb - Chapter Twelve

XII

We went into the kitchen and set up a game plan with Gavin. Lynsay would be sent for by Phillip within an hour, so she was the first to go out and search for Dona and go from there to Phillip. We would work in one to two hour increments, Dona had many a hiding spot and they were widespread. Thankfully, Emma had made a list over the years of where she had been found.
“The poor thing wanders off because she has night terrors, sometimes sleepwalks so I had to find a way to keep track of her. She does frequently hide in the same spot twice so I made a list of her popular ones. I've also drawn a map of the property and sectioned it off.” she said, laying a small map on the table.
“Emma I must say you are probably one of the most organized human beings I have ever met.” Gavin said. Emma smiled, and went on explaining the plan:
“Lynsay, you are to take the areas surrounding the barn. She has several there so check them off as you go. Grace darling you're to take the area's in and around the orphanage and playground, be sure to check every nook and cranny. I will take the surrounding perimeter around the property and Rachel you are to take the wooded areas. There aren't that many places for her to hide there and I've made you a separate map with checklist.” she said, handing me the map. “I'm certain we'll find her by then but just in case, I want to be very thorough.”
“And there's no need to worry about getting caught, the Captain has many allies in her unit. We all trust and respect her a hell of a lot more than we ever will Bingham. If you need help, radio.” Gavin replied, placing an extra radio on the table, giving another to Lynsay who wouldn't be returning right away. “Take this with you when you go out, we've all set our stations to the same one and Bingham won't intercept it because his is on a different one.” he turned to Lynsay, “You hold tight to that radio and don't hesitate for a second to call any of us.” he said, giving her a satchel with an extra battery and flares. “Shoot one of those up when things get sticky, we'll be there faster than you can say Bob's your uncle.” he smiled, Lynsay nodded and smiled back. “I'll radio when Officer Delaney sends for me.” she replied.
“The important thing right now is finding Dona, we'll worry about everything else later.” I replied, earning a unanimous nod in agreement. “Well then, lets get started.” I smiled.

Lynsay was the first to go out and search, I would be lying if I said I wasn't frightened; after all, I had just been reunited with her two months ago. As she was readying herself, I expressed how proud I was of her.
“Oh Lynsay darling I can't tell you how much it pleases me to have you for my sister.”
“Aw Rach...c'mon you're going to make me blush.” she smiled.
“I mean it! You're brilliant, and I am so proud of how much you've grown.”
“I wouldn't have been able to do it if I didn't believe you would find me.”
“Please, be safe darling. I am very frightened at the thought of you going out there alone...”
“Don't worry Rachel I'll be fine. What is it you told Dougan? 'I've done a pretty dandy job of taking care of myself.'? Well you are my sister so it runs in the family.”
“That was different dear, you could possibly come in contact with a madman, a madman who is unpredictable and capable of terrifying things...” I said, stroking her hair.
“Rachel....for three years I held on to the hope that you would find me again, and I'll be damned if someone is going to separate you from me now. I promise, that no matter what I will come back.” she replied, taking my hands. “Have I ever broken a promise?”
I smiled, “No, no darling you haven't” I embraced her and kissed her forehead. “Just be safe alright?”
“I will.”
With that she was off. Within an hour she radioed back and reported that she, sadly, had no luck; she was going with Phillip now and would radio again when she was finished.
As the hours passed, Dona still hadn't shown up; I was beginning to grow very distressed, but I maintained a calm demeanor and hoped that I would find her when it was my turn to go out and search. Emma, Grace and I were sitting at the table; I was about to go out to search when Gavin came in to report on Lynsay's current situation, he told the following story:
Phillip found Lynsay in the barn loft.
“Dona? Dona please com out...it's Lyn.” she said softly
“Any sign of her?” Phillip asked, coming up the ladder and startling Lynsay
“Jesus! Officer Delaney you nearly gave me a bloody heart-attack!”
“Sorry.” he smiled “Well are you ready to go then?”
“I suppose so...I've hit all of the area's on the checklist. No sign of her...”
“Don't worry, you've got three other people to search for her.”
“I know but the storm is getting worse. The weather is going to make it damn near impossible...”
“Have hope Lynsay.” Phillip said, putting his hands on her shoulders. “They're going to find her, I have faith in them. Especially your sister, she's very tenacious and won't stop until the job is done.”
“I hope you're right.”
“Come on then, lets go.”
They got into the patrol car and headed to the temporary command center.
“So what exactly am I going to do again?”
“Oh it's simple really, while I'm distracting Bingham you're going to sneak in, free Dougan, then take this car back to the orphanage to aid in the search for Dona.”
“Simple....right. How exactly am I going to free Dougan? Do you have the key to the cell?”
“No I don't, it's in Bingham's top desk drawer on the left side. At least that's where I saw him put it when he locked Dougan up. If it's not there it's probably in his pocket. I had to improvise.” he said, handing her a set of lock picks. Lynsay eyed him in surprise.
“Lock picks? What is an officer of the law doing with such degradable instruments?” she smiled
“I have my reasons.” he laughed. “Do you know how to use them?”
“If I say yes, will I get arrested?”
“No, you'll just be in similar company.”
“Well alright then. Yes I do.”
“Jolly good! I'm going to drop you off about a block from the warehouse, an officer of mine will meet you at the back door and let you inside where he'll wait with you until I send you some sort of sign. From there, you're on your own and will have to rely on those wits of yours.”
“What if I get caught? Bingham will throw me in jail for sure and you'll get eaten alive.”
“Don't you worry about me, and you won't get caught. I promise you that, Rachel told me she would make me curse the day I was born if anything happen to you, and to be honest, I believe her.”
“That sounds like Rachel....alright then I suppose I can manage.” she smiled, placing the lock picks in her satchel.
“I know you'll do fine. Here we are.” he said pulling over. “Go down that alley, make a left, there you'll find Officer Stevens.”
“Got it sir.” Lynsay smiled, saluting him. Phillip laughed as he watched her get out of the car and hurry down the alley. He arrived at the command center, hoping that the child was as quick-witted as he anticipated.

Once inside, Lynsay gave Phillip enough time to arrive and begin distracting Bingham; she and William anxiously waited for some sort of sign. Phillip entered into the main room, which housed a few desks and a communication station, the other three rooms were an evidence processing laboratory, a detaining cell, and a temporary mortuary. Celia was seated at her desk, drumming her fingers; her desk had been stripped of all police paperwork, leaving only her lamp and a cup of pencils. Her badge and pistol had been removed from her possession as well.
“It's about bloody time you got here. I was beginning to worry that something had gone wrong.” she said standing when she saw him.
“Sorry, I had some calls to make and I was a bit late picking Lynsay up. It worked out perfectly because she had finished her search when I arrived.”
“Any sign of Dona yet?”
“No, not yet. But Grace, Emma and Rachel haven't had their turn searching. Don't worry Celia, they'll find her. The child is a master at hiding it seems.”
“God I hope you're right...out of all of them Dona is the most fragile. I would never forgive myself if something happens to her.”
“Well it wouldn't be your fault.” he said, glancing at Bingham who was engrossed in paperwork. “How are you holding up?” he asked
“I'm about ready to go mad, but now that you're here its all well and dandy.” she said, placing her hands on her hips. “Is Lynsay ready?” she whispered.
“Yes, I just have to signal her and we have a but a few moments before Bingham realizes what's going on.”
“Well then hop to it!” she whispered. Bingham had already saw Phillip and was making his way toward him in his usually hulking fashion.
“Delaney, what in bloody hell took you so long?”
“Forgive me sir, I was detained.”
“Piss-poor officer you are.”
“Sir I had some things that I needed to discuss with you regarding the case.” he said, ignoring Bingham's snide remark. Celia sat down and pretended not to have any interest in what was being discussed; taking advantage of Bingham's distraction, she eyed an officer by the door and nodded. He understood and slipped into the corridor to signal William and Lynsay.
“There's Wiggins, he's giving you the okay. Are you sure you can do this?” William said, looking at Lynsay with concern
“I'll be fine Officer Stevens.”
“William, please. It feels weird to have someone close to my age call me 'Officer'.” he smiled
“How old are you?” Lynsay asked, eyebrow raised.
“I'm only eighteen, but I lied so I could get into Scotland Yard. You won't tell no one will you? The only other person that knows is the Captain.”
“Of course not William.” she smiled. “Now go and get the car ready, I have a feeling Dougan and I will have to make haste once I free him.”
“Right Lynsay, be careful okay?” he said, squeezing her hand.
“I will.” she smiled. “Now go!” she laughed. William hurried outside to get the car; Lynsay took a deep breath and quietly crept into the holding cell area.

Dougan was pacing back and forth in his cell, occasionally stopping and resting his arms on the bars. God I hope everyone's alright. This about to drive me mad, sittin' here in this damned cell while they are out searching for Dona. His thoughts were interrupted by a light footstep behind him.
“Lynsay! What in God's name are you doing here?” he said, his voice a little louder than it should have been.
“Will you shut up? Jesus you're going to alert every bloody one here!” she whispered, immediately going to work on the lock.
“How did you manage to get inside? Even with all of the influence Celia has, she's detained.” he asked quietly, wondering where on earth she got the lock picks from.
“Celia only had a little to do with it, Phillip is the one who arranged all of this. It seems he has more pull than Celia does somehow. Now shut up, I need to concentrate. I haven't done this in a while.”
Dougan smiled as she concentrated on the lock, he couldn't help but see, both physically and emotionally, Rachel in her. She's definitely her sister alright. God, I hope Rachel's okay. His thoughts were again interrupted by Lynsay swearing at the lock.
“Goddamnit all to hell!” she said through her teeth, throwing the lock picks back in her satchel.
“My, my does your sister know you have such a mouth?” Dougan smiled.
“No, and if you want to get out of here I suggest you keep that little explosion between us.” she said, taking one of her hairpins out. “Those bloody things aren't worth a damn, I don't know why Phillip even gave them to me.” she said, sticking the hairpin in the lock and wiggling it; the lock soon clicked and the door opened. “I could have saved so much trouble if I had just done this in the beginning.” she smiled, putting the hairpin back in.
“Lynsay you're a bloody genius.” Dougan said, scooping her up in an embrace.
“I am very aware of that.” she laughed. “Now lets hurry, we have to get out of here before Bingham comes.” she said. She gathered up her satchel, what she didn't count on was the strap getting caught on the door. She yanked it off, but the door slipped from her grasp and made a loud clanging noise against the side of the cell.
“Oh...” Dougan began, his eyes wide
“buggar...” Lynsay said, her voice cracking.

It goes without say that, despite Phillip's attempts to deter him, Bingham came pushing by him and was faced with a wide-eyed teenager and a rather pale young man.
“Well, well it seems we have a jail break. Aren't you a clever girl? It's a shame that you went through all of that work only to be thrown back into the cell.”
“Sir you can't do that.” Phillip said stepping between Bingham and the two.
“Delaney you forget your place. I'm to assume that you planned this whole escapade, well you'll be joining them.” he said stepping forward, getting in Phillip's face. “Stand down.”
“I will do nothing of the sort, sir.” Phillip replied through his teeth.
“Then I'll make you!” Bingham said, grabbing Phillips shirt collar.
“Bingham if you don't release him at once, I'll put a new hole in you.” Celia said, clicking the hammer on her pistol. Bingham released Phillip's collar and stared at her in utter astonishment.
“How in bloody hell did you get a gun?! Yours is locked up in my office!”
“You're always bashing on how foolish it is to allow an officer who wears a skirt on the force, you forget that skirts provide an excellent cover-up for another holster.” she smiled
“You conniving bitch! I'll hang you for this!” he said starting towards her. He quickly stopped when she shot a hole in the floor in front of him.
“Watch your tongue Bingham. I meant what I said about putting a new hole in you. Now be a good dog and go to your kennel.” she said gesturing him to the holding cell.
“You won't get away with this, and when I get out you can rest assure that you will pay for it.” he snarled through his teeth. Phillip slammed the door and smiled at him,
“That is, if you can get out. So long old chap! Enjoy your stay!” he replied.

We all had a great laugh at the idea of Richard Bingham fuming in a jail cell, outwitted by a bunch of so-called misfits.
“That's positively brilliant! Oh when Lynsay gets back I am going to take her shopping and buy her a new dress, she's definitely earned it.” I laughed.
“I have to say, I would have so liked to see Richard Bingham's face when Captain Thomas shot at the floor in front of him. He must have nearly soiled himself.” Emma giggled.
“I'm sure he did.” Gavin laughed. “Well Phillip radioed me a few moments ago and said that the weather has gotten rather beastly, so it may delay them but they should be here in under an hour.”
“That's wonderful! Well I should probably go out and search for Dona then.” I replied, taking the satchel with the radio and wrapping my shawl around me.
“Rachel are you sure you want to? It's so dreadful out, why not wait until Officer Delaney arrives with the Captain?” Emma said.
“Oh bollocks, you said yourself there's a only a handful of places she could be. Besides it probably won't take me very long, and I don't like the thought of her out there all alone in this ghastly weather. I shan't be long, I promise.” I said
“Be careful Miss Winter, Phillip said there's a possibility of flooding. So watch your step around the creek.” Gavin said
“I will. I'll radio if I need any help.” I said.

With that I began my search for Dona, rather hopeful that I would find her. My optimism is the only thing that kept me going that day, and even now as I'm telling you this I am very grateful to have had it. I would soon discover the one thing that had the power to take it away from me.

3 comments:

  1. Again left on the edge of my seat!
    I have to admit I'm terrified for Rachel and wish she hadn't gone out alone :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't read the next few chapters in the dark ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have the lights on today!! ;)

    ReplyDelete