Monday, April 19, 2010

St. Columb - Chapter Thirteen

XIII

I started out towards the wooded area, now seeing why the others were worried about me going out in this horrid weather. The rain was falling rather hard, and the wind blew every now and then causing a terrible chill.
“Another bloody gorgeous English autumn.” I muttered, pulling my shawl tight around my body. I walked around to the playground and followed the trail into the woods, not knowing that I would soon be much safer in this terrible weather than in the warm house where Emma and Grace waited for me.

“Do you think she'll be okay mum?” Grace asked, handing her mother a dish towel.
“I think so dear, Rachel is very self-reliant. She'll be chilled to the bone when she comes back though.” Emma replied, smiling at her daughter
“I hope she finds Dona...I must have searched the playground at least three times and I couldn't find her.” Grace said, looking down and picking at her nails
“She has to be in the woods, there's no other place she could be darling.” Emma replied, trying to hide her concern by focusing on the dishes
“What if that evil man has her?”
“He doesn't.”
“But how can you be so sure? What if—“
“Because I just bloody do!” Emma snapped. She immediately regretted her decision once she saw her daughter's face, Grace looked as if she'd been struck.
“Oh Grace darling, I'm so sorry.” she said, pulling her into an embrace. “I've just been so scared lately that it's all I can do to keep what little hope I have...” she whispered, stroking her hair; Grace clung to her mother, embracing her like she did when she was scared as a child.
“Oh mum what are we going to do? Why is this happening?”
“I can't answer that dear. But we can't falter now, not when Rachel and Celia are so close to finding out who the bastard is that is doing this. We're going to be okay Grace, do you hear me?” she said, cradling her daughter's face in her hand. “We're going to be okay.”
“You've said that before, and you were right.” Grace replied, smiling.
“What can I say darling? I have a knack for being right about those kinds of things.” Emma laughed embracing her daughter again. “Come on then, let's finish these dishes and have a nice hot meal ready for everyone when they return.”
“Alright then.”

They were startled by the commotion that was going outside the kitchen, it sounded like two men fighting. Before they could investigate, the intruder had entered the kitchen; he was smiling as he held a switchblade dripping with fresh blood.
“Oh my God...it can't be...” Emma said, her eyes wide with terror; she immediately put herself between the intruder and her daughter.
“Mother...that's...that's” Grace said, trembling behind Emma.
“Surprise.” he said, smiling as he walked towards them.

I made my way through the winding trails of the woods, checking every side road and hidden cranny. I also was careful to avoid soft spots and deep puddles of water, especially when I neared the creek. I learned later that the flood had delayed Celia and the others.

“Well this is just fucking perfect!” Celia said, looking angrily at the flood waters that had blocked the road.
“Celia! There is a child in the car!” Phillip said
“Oh trust me, it's probably nothin' she hasn't said before.” Dougan smiled, glancing at Lynsay who elbowed him. “Look we can walk it's not that far.” Dougan said, he and Lynsay getting out.
“Well I suppose that's alright, we can't bloody well drive through this. Dougan are there other ways of getting back to the orphanage?” Celia asked as she and Phillip also exited the car.
“Yeah, if you take the road up about a mile or so, there's another turn that'll lead you right to St. Columb. It's a bit out of the way, but it's higher up there so there won't be any floodin'.” he said.
“Right then, you and Lynsay go on ahead. Unfortunately, Phillip and I have to stay here and wait for the rest of the team. Radio when you arrive.” she said.
Dougan and Lynsay carefully crossed the flooded section of the road and were at the end of the drive way within minutes.
“Dougan...why is the front door open?” Lynsay asked, her voice trembling.
“Shit!” Dougan said, taking off up the drive way; he ran as if the devil himself were on his heels, Lynsay close behind him.
They entered the foyer to find Gavin on the floor, surrounded by a puddle of blood.
“Gavin! Good God what happened?! Lynsay! Hold this to his wound.” Dougan said, handing Lynsay his handkerchief and propping Gavin up; he groaned, opening his eyes.
“D—Dougan...don't...worry with me....check to see if Grace and Emma....are okay....” he said, blacking out again. Lynsay tied off the handkerchief around his wound, then took the hem of her dress, tore it off and tied it around the handkerchief to make a tourniquet. Dougan made his way back to the kitchen, pausing at the door to ready himself for what he may see. God, please....let them be alive. He opened the door to find them both on the floor, Emma lying by the stove and Grace in the corner by the pantry; he ran to Emma's side, propping her head in his lap. He saw that she was badly beaten, the right side of her face was badly bruised, her left eye was nearly swollen shut, her neck and breast bone had several bruises on it, and she had a nasty gash on her forehead; she winced when Dougan lifted her, signaling that several of her ribs were probably broken.
“Oh God...Emma...Emma, can you hear me?” Dougan said, gently brushing her dark red hair out of her face; part of it was sticky with blood from where it had covered the gash.
She opened her eyes, “Dougan...” she whispered, wincing. “Oh God...it hurts.” she said, tears forming in her eyes. “Grace, where's Grace? Grace!” she said, attempting to get up but was stopped by the agonizing pain.
“She's over in the corner there, I think she's just unconscious.” Dougan replied. About that time, Lynsay had come into the kitchen. She stopped when she saw Grace.
“Grace? Grace!” she said, rushing over to her friend's side. “Dougan she's breathing but not waking up...she's got a terrible gash on her head, and...oh God...it looks as if someone beat her! She has bruises on her arms, neck and face!” she cried, stroking Grace's hair.
“As long as she's breathing that's a good sign. Did you call for help?”
“Yes Celia and Phillip are on their way, the rest of the unit will be here shortly. She said they were under a mile away but they aren't going to wait for them. I also alerted the few officers here on the property.” Lynsay said, dabbing Grace's forehead with a damp cloth she had taken from the counter.
“Good work.” he said; he turned his attention back to Emma. “Emma, did he say anything about where he was going?”
“Yes...”
“Where Emma, please you must tell me...”
“He said he's going after Rachel...”
“Who is 'he' Emma?”

Celia and Phillip arrived just in time to see Dougan storming out of the house towards the woods.
“Whoa, slow down there! Where in God's name do you think you're going?” Celia said.
“I'm going to go find Rachel, and kill that son of a bitch that beat Emma and Grace, and killed those children and Julian.” Dougan said, trying to push past them.
“That is not a very wise decision Dougan. My unit will be here momentarily, we need to—”
“I'm not bloody waiting for your goddamn unit when that psychopath is out there hunting for Rachel!” Dougan yelled, pushing by them and running into the woods.
“Should we go after him?” Phillip asked.
“No...we need to go in and asses the situation and find out who the hell did this. Come on!”
The other officers had rushed over and aided Lynsay in caring for the wounded. Gavin had been put on the couch and bandaged, Emma and Grace were propped up together on the couch opposite of Gavin getting their injuries treated. Grace had just come to, and Emma was getting the gash on her head cleaned.
“Oh dear God...Gavin!” Celia said, rushing over to his side. Gavin looked up at his commander, he managed to smile given his condition.
“I'm fine captain...just a bit sore...”
“Shh, don't talk. I'm just glad to see you're alive...”
“You should know it'll take a hell of a lot more than this to kill me.”
“You are a tough bastard aren't you?” she smiled, stroking his hair.
“I guess so.” he chuckled.
“Rest now, I'll be back in a while to check on you.” she said, rising. She turned to the attending officer, “If anything happens to him, you're going to find out what they mean by 'hell hath no fury...' got it?” she replied. The officer swallowed hard and nodded.
“Celia, I can't find Lynsay.” Phillip said coming from the kitchen. Outside, the rest of the unit had arrived and wasted no time in getting set up.
“What do you mean you can't find her? She was just bloody here!” Celia said running towards the door.
“Damnit, she must have gone after Dougan!” Phillip said as he followed Celia. They went outside, and as they were running past the team of officers Celia yelled:
“Stevens! You're in charge! Don't screw up or I'll hang you when I get back!” she said, and she and Phillip followed the trail into the woods; leaving poor William wide-eyed and befuddled.
“What are your orders sir?” another officer asked.
“Well you heard her, lets not make this a cock up or else she'll hang the lot of us!” William said, and he began to bark out orders as if he had been doing it his entire career.

I had nearly made it to the top of the hill, signaling that the the trail was nearly finished. I hadn't seen any sign of Dona, and had this sinking feeling in my stomach that told me something was terribly wrong.
“I suppose I had better head back...” I said, checking my map again; every place on there had been checked off. I was trying to think of other places Dona would hide as I made my way back down the trail, suddenly I heard something over the wind and rain that made me stop and listen. It sounded like crying, I focused on it and tried to pinpoint a location.
“Dona? Dona darling is that you?” I said, walking towards the sound. It sounded like it was coming from a small thicket, dripping wet, I made my way over to it; the sound got louder, and I established that it wasn't a little girls cries but a boy's.
“Who's in there? Please come out, I won't hurt you.” I said. I strained to see through the rain, I finally saw movement. It was a boy, he was dressed in jeans, a red jacket and black shirt; he shivered as he cried.
“Robby, how did you get all the way out here?”
“I—I don't know....I was so scared....” he said, standing and stepping out of the thicket; his jeans were dirty, probably from crawling around in the mud in that thicket.
“Well you can't very well stay out here dear, you'll get dreadfully sick. Come on, I'm heading back to the orphanage. We'll get you a nice hot meal and some dry clothes.”
“We can't eat...not with Mr. Julian gone...and supper isn't the same without Dona.”
“Oh darling, you can't think—“ I stopped, immediately realizing something was very strange.
“Robby...how did you know about Julian?”
“I saw it in a dream....” he said, shifting awkwardly.
“And what did you say you were doing out here so far away from the orphanage?”
“I wanted to help you search for Dona....she's run away again...”
“Robby...none of the other children knew about Dona...”

Celia and Phillip did their best to catch up with Dougan, but their limited knowledge about the surrounding woodlands made it very trying.
“Oh hell we'll never catch up with him if the rain keeps picking up. We're just as lost as a damn hooker in a convent.” Celia said, wiping the water from her face.
“We have to keep after him, he's unarmed and the perpetrator is. Dougan may be a tough chap, but if this lad knows what he's doing then Dougan is in real trouble. I don't even want to think about what he may do to Rachel.” Phillip replied.
“You're right...bloody hell.” Celia put her hands on her hips and took a second to get herself together and calm down. Phillip noticed that, even soaking wet, she still maintained a sense of dignity and beauty.
“You know, this probably isn't the best time to say this...”
“What is it Phillip? There's never a bloody good time to say anything.”
“That's quite true, well if you wish for me to be honest I think I may be in love with you.”
“I—I beg your pardon?” Celia replied, her eyes wide
“Yes, yes I do believe that I am.” Phillip laughed, taking a small step forward. “Is that so hard to believe?”
“To be quite honest yes! I'm not the kind of woman men fall in love with!”
“Well I think I'm the the best judge of that.”
“No you don't understand....I don't know when to shut up around other people, I'm loud, obnoxious, I have no couth, I say what I think, I'm not sweet nor am I demure. I'm terribly obsessed about my job, I'm disorganized around the house but painstakingly organized at the office I—“ she was silenced by Phillip's lips gently meeting hers.
“Well you are right about not knowing when to shut up.” Phillip chuckled, cradling her chin with his fingers. “But I think I've found a solution to that issue. As far as the rest of those flaw's go, I have quite a few of my own so I think we'll fit quite perfectly. That is, if you love me of course.” he smiled.

Before she could answer, she heard a soft whimper;
“Shh...do you hear that?” she said softly, putting her fingers on Phillip's mouth; he listened, and he too heard the whimper.
“Yes, I think it's coming from over there.” he said, pointing to a small knoll. Closer observation revealed that there was a rather large burrow at its foot, concealed by a bush.
“Give me your torch.” Celia said, kneeling. Phillip handed her his flashlight and she shined the light inside.
“Oh dear God...Dona...” she said softly. Dona was huddled in the far corner of the burrow, soaking wet and dirty but otherwise unharmed. She cowered at the sight of Celia and Phillip, unsure if they were friend or foe.
“It's alright sweetie we're good guys, see?” Celia said gently, showing Dona her badge and urging Phillip to do the same. Dona squinted in the light, seeing the badge she moved a little closer to Celia.
“Come on dear, I promise I won't hurt you but I can't let you stay in there you'll catch cold.”
“Okay...” Dona whimpered. She crawled out and immediately rushed into Celia's arms, she trembled as Celia picked her up and held her close.
“Shh, shh, shh, it's alright darling you're safe now.” Celia whispered, stroking her hair.
“I had to get out...I had to get away from him.” Dona cried into her neck.
“Get away from who dear? He can't hurt you now, you can tell me.”
“He snuck in through the window...he...he didn't see me but I saw him...he stole into the kitchen and took the gun that Mrs. Emma keeps in the cabinet above the sink....away from us children...then he left...” Dona started to cry again. Celia looked at Phillip, who was rubbing Dona's back; his face was grave.
“M—Miss Rachel came by, she was calling for me....but I was so scared....”
“It's alright Dona, no one's mad at you we're just so happy you're alright.” Celia said, then she realized that Rachel and this madman were alone in the woods. “Dona...Dona do you remember when Rachel came by here?” she asked, gently maneuvering Dona so she could face her
“I—I don't know....it was when the rain wasn't falling as hard...”
“So about thirty minutes ago. Dona, I want you to be brave now....did you see the man come this way too?”
“Y—Yes....he was carrying a knife....the g—gun was tucked in his belt around back....”
“Oh God...” Celia whispered, looking at Phillip. “Dona, I want you to go with Mr. Phillip here alright? He's going to take you back to the house where you're going to get cleaned up and dried off.”
“I don't want to leave...I want to stay with you...” she said, clinging to Celia; she began crying again, it was all Celia could do not to join her.
“Darling you can't, I need to go help Miss Rachel. Mr. Phillip will take good care of you.”
“I know I'm not much to look at but I will protect you Dona.” Phillip replied, giving her a reassuring smile.
“O—Okay....but you promise you'll come back?” Dona asked Celia, who smiled at her.
“I promise darling. I promise.” she said hugging her again. She gently handed her to Phillip, who cradled her gently against his chest; her little arms wrapped around his neck and she buried her head in his chest.
“Celia, I don't like this.” he said.
“Phillip we can't very well take her with us and we both know that I'm not going anywhere, I'll be alright.” she replied, checking her gun for ammunition.
“Here, take my extra magazine.” he said, gesturing for her to reach into his pocket; she did, and put the magazine in her pouch near her holster.
“Please be careful Celia.”
“Don't worry Phillip.” she replied, kissing his cheek. “I'll be back soon.”
She hurried off into the woods, Phillip looking after her until she disappeared around the corner. He hurried back to the orphanage, he needed to make a call to the commanders office and fast.

I stood there in the rain, staring at Robby; looking back I think I knew in that moment. He stood there, shifting awkwardly as he usually did but there was something very different about his demeanor this time; I thought he was smiling.
“Robby.” he looked up at me, his face wearing a mask of fear but his eyes telling a very different story.
“How did you know about Dona? Answer me!”
“I know a lot of things...Miss Rachel.” he said, his tone of voice changing; he looked at me and smiled, his eyes looking more and more like an animal getting ready to attack. It was then that I saw that the stains on his jeans was blood, and that he was holding a knife that he had been hiding behind his back.
“Oh my God...it's you...” I said, feeling my face go white with horror; he smiled, an evil, conniving smile and let out a low, dangerous laugh.
“Surprise.” he said, coming towards me with the knife.
I was paralyzed, I couldn't move even though every fiber in my body told me to run; I couldn't scream, no sound came from my throat when I tried. I stood there, like a gaping fool as Robby came towards me with the knife. He was still smiling as he slowly walked towards me, his pace reminded me of a cat who had cornered a mouse and was ready to strike. Suddenly I heard Dougan's voice cry out over the rain, Robby turned in time to see Dougan tackle him to the ground.
“Dougan! He's got a knife!” I cried. He didn't seem to hear me, he continued to punch Robby.
“You ungrateful son of a bitch!” he roared. Robby laughed, and managed to kick him off.
“Oh Dougan you're such a fool.” he said.
I stood helpless, watching them fight. I remember thinking there had to be something that I could do to help Dougan; then I noticed the knife had fallen to the ground.
Dougan punched Robby, causing him to fall to the ground. “I'll kill you, you limey bastard.” he said coming towards him. It was then that I saw the gun tucked in Robby's belt.
“Dougan look out!” I screamed.
“Not before I kill you first.” Robby smiled, pulling the gun on Dougan.

I heard the shot, I saw Dougan fall backwards down the hill; I think I screamed, but so much was happening I couldn't be sure. I saw Robby come towards me, I felt a surging pain on the back of my head.

Then all went dark.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa!! I had my suspicions about Robby from Day 1!

    Can't wait for Ch. 14!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's coming! I'm pretty sure that you'll have the completed story tonight! :D

    ReplyDelete