Wednesday, April 14, 2010

St. Columb - Chapter Nine

VX

I felt ill, I knew I would've been ill right then and there had it not been for Dona in my lap. How could someone do this to a child?! A child! They can't defend themselves, nor do they really understand what is being done to them. Oh Dona....little Dona...I must protect her. Her safety is of the utmost. I decided then and there that I would take Dona into my protection, Lynsay and she would stay in my room. I could not risk anything happening to them, I would never forgive myself or survive if I lost them. I also resolved that I would trust no one except Emma, Grace and Dougan; everyone else was a suspect, with the exception of Captain Thomas of course. Dona's sobs had stopped, she now softly whimpered, her head still buried in my chest.
“Dona dear, would you like to stay here for a few days? I could have Mrs. Emma bring a cot up for you and you could stay here until this whole thing blows over.”
She pulled her face away and looked up at my, her blue eyes still glistening with tears. “R—Really? Could I Miss Rachel?”
“Yes dear. I'll send for Mrs. Emma and go get some of your things.”
“Oh thank you so much...” she said throwing her arms around me.
“But there's one condition, you have to promise me something.”
“What is it?” she asked looking at me.
“This has to be our little secret okay? You are not to venture out without my permission, nor are you to go wandering about. If you stay here, you cannot go back to the orphanage until this thing has blown over. Do you understand? Can you do that for me?”
“I promise Miss Rachel.” she said, hugging me again.
I heard a faint knock at the door, I beckoned them to come in; it was Emma, with Celia at her side. Emma looked very forlorn and pale, her cheeks and eyes were red and puffy.
“Forgive me Rachel, but Celia was looking to talk to Dona if possible.” she said, looking relieved that Dona was with me.
“Actually, may I see both of you out in the hallway?” I replied, I turned my attention to Dona: “I'll be right outside alright? In the meantime, why don't you lay down and try to rest. You must be tired.”
“Okay Miss Rachel.” Dona softly replied, crawling off my lap and laid her head on my pillow. I followed the two women out into the hall, closing the door behind me. Before I initiated any conversation, I checked our surroundings; I wanted to make absolutely sure that no one was listening.
“Forgive me, but I'm beginning to not trust anyone around here. With the exception of you two of course.” I kept my voice very hushed.
“Rachel what are you talking about? Has something else happened?” Emma asked, her eyes wide with terror.
“Oh no Emma dear, its just after the conversation I just had with Dona I've decided that there are only a certain few I will trust until this matter is solved.”
“Dona talked to you? Forgive my brashness but what did she say? Did she give any clues?” Celia asked.
“As far as the identity of our killer, she didn't give anything helpful I'm afraid. She merely referred to him as a 'monster', but I am certain that it is someone who works here.”
“Oh god...under my own nose. Dona has been talking of monsters for months....I didn't pay any mind because I thought she was talking about the nightmares she has. Oh God this is all my fault.” Emma said, burying her face in her hands and crying softly.
“Mrs. Noll, I've told you before that there's nothing you could have done to prevent this. Whoever is doing this is very skilled and very cunning. He isn't going to make it obvious, look at the types of girls he's assaulting. You can't blame yourself.” Celia said gently, I was beginning to like her more and more.
“Dona is going to stay with me, along with my sister. She can keep the child company when I am otherwise indisposed and I know that she and Dona get along famously. I have a plan that may draw our 'monster' out of hiding.”
“Brilliant! Let's hear it Miss Winter, I'll help you in any way I can.” Celia replied.
“Well it seems as though whomever is doing this has developed a 'type' of child that he likes, he's as particular about it as one would be about what they want in their afternoon tea.”
“How repulsive....” Emma said, clutching herself.
“It is, however we may be able to use this.”
“You mean to lure him out of hiding?” Celia inquired
“Precisely. If you could somehow spread the word that Dona is missing, possibly ran away or abducted by this 'monster' it may just draw him out. His need to have her may make him careless.”
“Miss Winter that just may work. However there are going to have to be strict rules by which we all must obey.” Celia replied.
“What are you talking about Captain?” Emma asked
“We all must do the following: One, tell no one outside of this house about this plan. I will tell the members of my unit but otherwise the rest of Scotland Yard will remain in the dark about it. When I say no one, I mean no one. Not even the Dougan fellow, while he is not a suspect I don't think it wise to let any male or staff-member on this property know.”
“Not tell Dougan? But, he doesn't matter! You said yourself that he's not a suspect, so why is it an issue if he knows or not?” I asked, rather distraught at the idea of lying to Dougan. He would be devastated if he thought I didn't trust him.
“Miss Winter I understand your distress, but it has to be done. I would rather air on the side of caution and limit who knows and who doesn't. The more people that know, the greater harm that Dona could come to. Please understand that I am only doing what I think is best for the child.”
“Alright...” I replied, still very upset at the idea. “What else?”
“Two we must play the part, no hints or insinuation that we know more than anyone else. You must act distressed at the so-called disappearance of Dona Austen. Finally, report only to me. Do not leave messages for me, do not go to any of the other officers. While most of my men will do anything for me, there are a few I wouldn't trust for anything. There are always eyes on me, one particular pair of eyes, Richard Bingham. He despises me and I wouldn't put it past him if he were to somehow buggar up this investigation if it meant to see me fall. So contact myself, and myself only. Are we understood?”
“Yes Captain.” Emma replied
“Understood. Do you really think this could work captain?” I inquired.
“I think there's a good chance yes. And you both may call me Celia, if we're going to be working together we may as well be casual.” she smiled.

We briefed Lynsay and Grace on the situation, and sending Lynsay up to tend to Dona; Emma and Grace were left to console each other in the kitchen. I walked Celia back to her patrol car. She told us they would be setting up a temporary command center in town at one of the abandoned warehouses; it would be much easier to stay in Basildon than to travel back and forth from London. She also gave us her contact information and room number at the hotel she would be staying at. She advised against sending wires to her, as they could be intercepted.
“Don't be afraid to call me if something is up.” she said to me.
“I won't, I have to say I'm very glad that someone like you is helping us. It's an honor to see a woman in a so-called “man's” position.” I smiled.
“Well I think its about bloody time. What did they expect when they came home from war? That we would just give up our jobs and go back to playing house? Stupid bastards.” she laughed. I was about to respond when a young-looking officer came up, his face very grave.
“Captain...”
“Yes, what is it Robert?”
“T—They...” he was very shaken, Celia's face turned very concerned.
“Take your time. Now what are you trying to say?”
“They found another body....” he said, looking down with his hands on his hips. I gathered he was trying to keep himself from being ill. Celia turned very pale.
“What? When??”
“Just ten minutes ago I gather....it's another child....”
“Oh god...no...no, not again...” I said, feeling ill myself. I leaned against the car to keep myself from fainting again.
“H—How old?” Celia asked.
“Eight...possibly nine. Its a male, he has curly red hair. Judging by the contusions around his neck he was strangled with something....”
“Male?”
“Yes captain....he's being brought up now.”
“Who found him? Did one of the officers?”
“No, one of the orphans did miss. I believe his name is Robby. He's very shaken up, bordering hysterics.”
“Oh god....did you say the boy had curly red hair?” I asked, tears streaming down my face as I clenched the hood of the car.
“Yes miss....do you know him?”
“Its Max....oh god no...not Max, not Max!” I sobbed. I slid down and hugged my knees into my chest and wept.

I have never wept so much or so hard as I did when I found out about the fates of each of those children. I still to this day feel the hot sting of tears in my eyes when I think about them. If I only knew what I knew now....

Then I could have saved them right then and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment