Saturday, April 17, 2010

St. Columb Chapter Ten

X

I was not present when Celia observed the body, Dougan had to come and carry me to the house. I learned that it was indeed little Max, he was strangled by a belt of some sort and was found not far from the woods where Beatrice's body was disposed of. Phillip suggested that Max had witnessed the murder or saw the murderer dump the body:
“Judging by the tracks and the way the body was positioned, he was running back to the house.” Phillip concluded.
“That would explain why he wasn't in with the other lot. But what was he doing out here in the first place?” Celia asked leaning against the van and crossing her arms, her brows knitted in concentration.
“Perhaps he knew the killer, trusted him. Maybe without knowing it, he even aided. Didn't Miss Winter say that Max and Beatrice were friends?”
“Yes she did, but she also said that Beatrice didn't venture out far. Maybe she and Max were playing on the playground and were lured away by the killer. I think you're right about them knowing the killer, I'm almost certain that it's someone on this property.”
“Have you a list of suspects?” Phillip crossed his arms and leaned on the van next to her. Celia wasn't completely sure she could trust him yet, but her men were few; plus she remembered that her father only surrounded himself with trustworthy and honorable men.
“I've eliminated Mrs. Noll and her daughter, Miss Winter and her sister, and Mr. Bardwell. Everyone else is a suspect, especially if they're male.”
“Why eliminate Mr. Bardwell?”
“Because he was with Miss Winter when they discovered the first child's body. Not only that but the children don't show the reaction I'm looking for around him. They don't shy away or show any sort of fear, they trust him and he does adore them. Even if he doesn't look it, he's probably a bit of a softie.”
“Well I'll trust your instincts, your record shows that you know your child predators. I was very impressed.”
“Thank you. It means a lot coming from someone in the commanders office, now if I can just get him to bloody notice.”
“He's probably paying closer attention than you think.”
Celia said nothing, she just noticed how Phillip's eyes twinkled when he said that. What in bloody hell does he mean? He knows something, but what? I'll worry about that later, in the meantime he'll remain in the dark about Dona. He's still too close to Bingham for comfort.
“Delaney, give the order to evacuate all of the staff and have our men take their place. I want every door guarded and every floor to have at least three officers.”

I was seated on Dougan's bed, drinking tea and trying to absorb that in under twelve hours, two of the children that I had become so very fond of were gone forever. It would have been easier, I think, if they had died of natural causes; if they hadn't been killed by some sort of dark, ominous being who preyed on their innocence. What was most bothersome was Max, he was murdered simply because he was in the way of the killer; he was collateral damage, someone who needed to be disposed of. The very thought made me ill, and I feared who was next.
“Are you alright?” Dougan asked, sitting beside me.
“I'm not ill anymore if that's any consolation.”
“A bit, but you still look pale.” he brushed a stray lock of hair from my face, I couldn't bring myself to look at him yet; strange as it sounds, I didn't want him to see how scared I was.
“I'll be fine....as soon as Celia finds out who is doing this...” I said, setting my tea down and walking to the window.
“She will, of that I am certain.” he replied, standing; I thought he was going to come over to the window but he just stood there. I turned to face him, he was very sorrowful; his eyes, usually bright and hopeful, were full of uncertainty and fear. He was doing his best to put on a good face, trying not to cry in front of me for fear it may make me more upset. I realized then that I wasn't the only one affected by this, he saw Beatrice's body too, probably Max's along with that. If I could share my feelings with anyone, it was him.
“Dougan...” at the mention of his name he looked at me; I walked towards him and touched his cheek with my hand, “I feel guilty too...”
“What do you have to feel guilty about? You weren't with them as much as I was...goddamnit I should've seen Beatrice's change in behavior. I should've spent more time with her, found out who was doing it and tore 'em apart with my bare hands.” he walked toward his dresser and placed his hands on it. “Now this bastard is loose, on my territory, with my kids, with people who've become my family and has the ability to kill again. He's threatening everything I've ever cared for and here I am in my room when I should be out there huntin' down the bastard!” he slammed his fists on the dresser, knocking a miniature portrait in the floor. “I'm a damned fool Rachel.” he said his voice breaking.
I walked over to him, placed my hands on his shoulders and gently turned him to face me, “Dougan you're no fool, and you're not a failure. Emma and Grace are going to really need you now, possibly more than ever before. Celia said that it is best that we remain in the house, and I think that she's right.” I looked at the clock on the dresser, it read a little after three.
“What about you Rachel? Don't you need someone?” he asked softly, putting one hand over mine and stroking my cheek with the other. I didn't answer right away, to be quite honest I didn't want to tell him how much I needed him or how much I loved him. I felt rather silly actually, I had only known him a little over two months. Is that even enough time for love to blossom?
“You don't have to be so brave, you're not alone anymore. I won't think any less of you....let me be here for you.” he said, drawing me into an embrace. He held me tight against his chest, nuzzling my hair.
“Dougan....” I said, choking on tears. “Dougan I'm just so scared...” I wept. I must have wept for several minutes, but he continued to hold me and listen. I finally found myself so fatigued that I could barely stand.
“Whoa, careful.” Dougan replied, catching me and picking me up. He laid me on the bed and put a quilt over me. “You need to sleep. You've been up for nearly twenty-four hours.” he said kneeling down and stroking my cheek.
“What about you? You've been up just as long as I have.”
“Yes, but I got a nap this afternoon.” he replied, that boyish grin returning to his face.
“Slacker.”
“Get some sleep Rachel.” he smiled, kissing my forehead and standing; I reached for his hand.
“Thank you Dougan....” I said quietly. He bent down and kissed me, I remember wondering if he heard my heart pounding in my chest.
“Don't thank me...you haven't a clue how much you've helped me tonight.” he said.
The last thing I remember was him stretching out on the couch by the window and closing his eyes.

I awoke to rain the next day, I found it a comfort that the heavens felt the same way I did. Dougan was still asleep on the couch, I glanced at the clock, it read a little after nine; I felt rather disgusted with myself for sleeping so late. I quietly got out of the bed and left the room; I went downstairs to see that everyone else was asleep as well. Grace and Emma's doors were still closed, as was mine; I softly opened the door and saw that Dona was sound asleep on my bed and Lynsay in the cot. I went inside and seized a clean dress, then let myself in the bathroom; I quickly showered and feeling rather refreshed, I went out to meet Celia. As I walked to the orphanage in the terrible weather, shawl over my head, I noticed a figure under the overhang; upon closer observation, I saw it was Robby.
“Robby dear, what on earth are you doing out here in this terrible weather? You'll get chilled to the bone.”
“I like the rain...it reminds me that I...I can feel....” he said quietly, I saw he was trembling.
“You're already shivering, come now, lets get you inside and get you some hot chocolate or something. I don't want you to get sick.”
“The monster....he's struck again....I don't want to go back inside....” my heart stopped, I turned away so he wouldn't see my face. The monster? Before I could respond he had disappeared, I quickly made my way inside. I found Celia and Mr. Delaney talking in the mess hall, the other officers were either trying to keep the children occupied or aiding in the investigation. One of the staff-members, Julian the cook, had been killed. I saw the blood running out from underneath the sheet they had covered him with, I gathered that his throat had been cut; I thought I was going to be ill.
“Miss Winter you shouldn't be here.” Phillip said gently, coming to steady me.
“I came to...to see how the children were adjusting.” I said, sitting down in a chair. Celia came and sat beside me.
“He was discovered early this morning, the coroner says that he was murdered sometime around four. Not one of my men heard a bloody thing, all of the staff are in the parlor and have been there under surveillance, and every door had a man at it. Who ever is doing this knows their way around this place.” she said, I could tell there was something else bothering her.
“How...how was he killed?” I asked.
“Slashed throat, right across the jugular. Its very quick and efficient, it also prevents the victims from screaming.” Phillip replied. “Captain, are you going to tell her or should I?” he asked, I noticed that he held a plastic bag with some sort of object in it.
“Tell me what? What are you talking about?” I asked
“Rachel....the murder weapon was found in the trashcan. It was a regular pocket knife....nothing special, but it did have an engraving on it...” she said, taking the bag from Phillip.
“Why are you showing me—“ I stopped as soon as I saw the engraving on the handle. It was nothing elaborate or beautiful, just a simple script, something a parent would give their child. What disturbed me was the content of the engraving: D.B.
“You—You can't possibly think that this means...”
“Dougan Bardwell...yes, unfortunately we do.” Celia said
“But that's preposterous! Dougan would never do something like this! He and Julian were friends! Why on earth would he murder someone in cold blood that was a friend?” I said, my voice rising. I stood and wrapped my shawl tighter around my body, I somehow couldn't purge the chill.
“We found a belt in the trash also, it fits the contusions around Max's neck, and though we haven't confirmed it yet, Julian's hands look about the size of the marks left on Beatrice's neck. Perhaps Dougan figured it out before we did and, in a fit of rage, took the law into his own hands.” Phillip concluded.
“You haven't any proof! All you have is a knife that has initials on it, those initials could be any bloody one within two miles of here!” I replied, my voice rising; I was growing frustrated that Celia wasn't defending Dougan.
“Rachel, until something else comes up...we have to go with the evidence that is here now. I don't like this any more than you do...but I have to go with the facts that I have.” Celia said, standing and walking towards me.
“Facts? What facts! All I hear is speculation! You claim to know a predator when you see one captain, do you honestly believe that Dougan or Julian could so something so, so evil and monstrous? If you do than you're a poor excuse for a detective and your team is nothing more than a bunch of damnable puppets!” I cried, determined not to show any sort of weakness. Everyone was staring at me, I saw Gavin and William gaping at me like I had six heads, and heard whispers that the captain was going to 'chew me out' in a second; I didn't care, for them to even think that Dougan did this was almost as bad as seeing Beatrice lying on that riverbank. Phillip had stepped back, allowing Celia and I to face each other; her brows were knitted, lips pursed as if she were about to loose her temper. She locked eyes with me, and after a moment spoke very calmly to Gavin and William:
“Hockley, you and Stevens go fetch Mr. Bardwell.” she said without looking at them, she turned her head to the side and spoke to the rest of her men: “Well what in bloody hell are all of you staring at? Get back to work or I'll fire of the lot of you!” they immediately went back to work, she turned her attention back to me, her voice was stern, but very calm and steady:
“Rachel, I understand you're upset. Do you think that I enjoy this? I don't, but it's part of my job and I don't appreciate you standing there and assuming that I've somehow betrayed you.” she said; she took my arm and led me over to a corner where no one could hear. I was rather confused, and still very upset at the thought of Dougan being taken into custody like some rogue.
“Why are we standing over here like two little schoolgirls?” I asked, adjusting my shawl and looking at her. She still maintained her serious demeanor, but I sensed that she knew something that she didn't want to address in front of everyone.
“Because I don't want everyone and their brother hearing what I'm about to say you twit.” she replied, frustrated with my standoffish attitude.
“This is all fitting together too perfectly, the others just see it as pieces falling into place. And they are, however they're falling too soon. This predator is starting to get scared, and he needs to find a way of getting us out of here before he's discovered.”
“So you're thinking that Dougan's being framed in an attempt to shoo the lot of you out of here?” I asked.
“Yes but I have no evidence to prove that, everything fits so perfectly: the belt, the size of Julian, the knife with Dougan's initials on it and the time frame in which the murder occurred.”
“Yes...yes that's right because we all retired around three in the morning. You said the murder occurred at four?”
“Correct.”
“Well last I remembered, the clock on Dougan's dresser read a little after three—“
“Wait, you were with Dougan last night?” Celia asked, her eyebrows raising.
“Yes, but not in the way you are insinuating captain. He, being the gentleman that he is, slept on the couch....much to my disappointment.” I said, my cheeks growing scarlet. Celia did her best to maintain her laughter.
“Well now, that does give him an alibi. I've been in that house, it's impossible not to hear someone go in and out as old as it is.”
“So he doesn't have to be arrested?”
“He still has to be questioned, after all his knife was used to kill Julian but once he gives us a solid alibi he's off the hook.”
“Oh that's wonderful!”
Celia smiled, “You really do love him don't you?”
I stopped, I hadn't really admitted that to myself, let alone Dougan. Surprisingly, I was truthful with her: “Yes...yes I do...most dreadfully. Is it that obvious?”
“A bit.” she laughed.

Before I could respond, we were interrupted by a tall, older gentleman with a rather unsightly attitude. He barged into the mess hall demanding to know where Captain Thomas was, with Phillip Delaney on his heels, trying to stop him. He saw Celia in the corner, locked eyes with her and started to march right towards her.
“Who in bloody hell is that?” I whispered, disgusted.

“That, is Richard Bingham...”

No comments:

Post a Comment