Monday, March 22, 2010

St. Columb - Prologue, Chapter's One and Two

Prologue

Its the same dream over and over again; I feel rain stung my eyes, smell the scent of fresh earth as I race through the underbrush, and cry out as the branches claw at my body. I can hear my pursuer quickly catching up with me; his maniacal laughter echoes over the sound of the rain and wind. I somehow muster the strength to run faster, now hearing nothing but the pounding of my heart and my pursuers crazed cackles. If I can just get to the road I'll be able to get help...Just a little farther...make it to the road, come on....make it to the bloody road!
His animal-like eyes and laughter haunt me as I awake in a cold sweat, finding myself safely in my bed with my husband. It's strange how the memories you wish would disappear stay with you. You're left with a scar deeper than any flesh wound, to which there is no healing ointment. Sometimes I wonder if I somehow share the responsibility for my state. Why didn't I see it before? Why wasn't I more persistent in my finding? Maybe if I had been...
Well, I'm getting ahead of my story. Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Rachel, Rachel Winter. I was born in Manchester in 1922 and moved to London when I was quite young; I had a rather pleasant childhood, there were no foul memories until the Great War started. I was eighteen at the time and my father was lucky enough to avoid the draft but that couldn't stop him from helping his countrymen. Both he and my mother aided the troops in London; our house became a sanctuary for all those who were wounded. When that horrid Blitz started our house became less like a sanctuary and more like a place of death. My sister, Lynsay, and I helped our parents as best we could, but it was not enough.
My sister and I came home one day to find our house in ruins, destroyed by an air raid earlier that day. Our greatest fears were realised when we saw our parents being carried away on stretchers. Fearing that Lynsay would be removed from my care and thrown in an orphanage; thereby separating us forever, we ran away. For about a year we managed to survive, working in a soup kitchen in exchange for food and shelter we managed to carve out some sort of life. I promised Lynsay that I would protect her, and after this dreadful war was over we would try to make a normal life; I would finish my schooling and we would be able to survive off what meager earnings until I could get a real job.
On the sixth of March in 1943, I lost my sister; it was in the confusion of a nighttime air-raid that we were separated. I spent days, weeks searching for her but it was all for naught. I refused to believe that she was dead; something inside of my soul told me that she was still alive and I just couldn't ignore it. When the Germans surrendered in 1945, there was a need for social workers to aid the misplaced children of London. I immediately applied for the position, hoping that it would lead me to my sister. I trained for a year, and was soon able to go to orphanages on my own. I found I did enjoy the work, for it was very rewarding; however my main focus continued to be my reuniting with my sister.
It was in 1947 that I discovered an orphanage called St. Columb, located a mile or so outside of London. It was here where my journey would take an interesting turn, and a boy of seventeen would be responsible.....


His name was Robby.....

I


I can remember the day I was assigned to St. Columb very vividly. It was a crisp autumn day, absolutely gorgeous really; I was sitting in Doctor Richard Yellan's office waiting for him to sign the approval of my going to the tiny orphanage. Doctor Yellan was an incredibly kind man, he was responsible for most of my training and offered me housing in exchange for being a temporary governess to his young son. The office was remarkably comfortable and had a touch of home; pictures of his wife and son decorated the wall. I remember looking at them as he went over my file.
“Miss Winter,” he said, jolting me back to reality. “You're sure you want to go to St. Columb's orphanage?” he asked me.
“Yes sir, why do you ask?” I replied as I straightened my hat. I remember it being remarkably irritating that day.
“Its just that your resume is remarkable as well as your skill and you could get a position here in London, you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of moving into the country. Not only that but St. Columb's Orphanage is small, it won't—“ I politely silenced him by raising my hand.
“Doctor Yellan, I am well aware of the small hassle's that come with my choosing of St. Columb. While I'm sure the other places would further benefit my professional career, I would prefer to go to St. Columb's because that's where I am needed. That is where the highest percentage of children who lost their parents in the bombings are. Those are the children that are most deserving of a loving home.”
“Well there's no convincing you otherwise. All right then, I shall call Mrs. Emma Noll this afternoon; she is the one in charge up there.” he said to me, putting the files back in the folder. “An upstanding lady, she lost her husband in the war poor girl. She hit some rather beastly times after that.”
“Oh my, the poor dear. How did she come about running an orphanage?”
“Well Parliament noticed that she had quite a bit of land and offered to aid her in her finances in exchange that she harbor some of the children who lost their parents in the Blitz. She and her daughter Grace have been running the orphanage for two years now.”
“Why that's astonishing! I don't know if I would have the strength to do such a deed. I look forward to meeting her.”
“If I get a hold of Mrs. Noll, you may leave immediately in the morning. I must say Miss Winter that you are quite possibly one of the most driven students I've ever had the pleasure of teaching and employing.” he stood, placing the file in a cabinet. I remember that kind smile that brought me so much comfort each time I saw it.
“Thank you Doctor. I wouldn't have been able to have done any of this without your kindness. You truly have given me the ability to move on.” I replied, fighting back the tears that were so desperately trying to break free.
“Oh my dear girl. You're not giving yourself enough credit. You had the ability to move on all along, you just needed someone to push you in the right direction.” he walked around the desk and embraced me. He reminded me so much of my father, that I couldn't help but allow those tears to fall.
“You'll find her Rachel, don't loose hope.” he whispered.
“Thank you Doctor....”

I left the office in a splendid mood; I was certain that Doctor Yellan would get a hold of Mrs. Noll and I would leave early the next day. I had spent most of my training in and around London; I hadn't been as far out in the country as I would have liked to have been for my sister had to be there. Every single orphanage I went to, I found myself searching the faces of the children for my sister. She had to be about seventeen now, but I would know her. She had eyes exactly like mine: a unique shade of jade that we inherited from our mother. I wasn't certain if her hair was still the same blonde color, so I had to rely on that one single trait. Naturally if she wasn't at St. Columb, I would just serve my time there until they didn't require my services then I would simply keep searching; however I can distinctly remember feeling a pull towards this tiny orphanage that I had never seen, nor heard of until just two weeks prior. To this day I really can't explain it other than some sort of divine intervention.
My apartment was located about 2 kilometers away from Doctor Yellan's office so walking was my primary source of transportation, unless of course the weather was ghastly. It was a pleasant neighborhood, the residents were mostly elderly couples and small families; we all knew each other and looked out for one another. Miss Stewart, a kindly spinster, was my neighbor and somewhat of a surrogate grandmother. I always stopped to see her promptly at four o'clock, just in time for afternoon tea. Today was no different.
“Rachel darling you're late.” she said, wearing that familiar pink gingham apron over her usual blue dress; she was smiling, her eyes twinkled.
“I'm so sorry Miss Stewart, my appointment with Doctor Yellan lasted a bit longer than I thought. You're not going to turn me away I hope?” I replied, playfully pouting.
“Oh of course not dearie. Now come sit down before the tea turns stone cold.”
She had set up a lovely table on the balcony outside, I remember thinking how I hope to be as spirited as she when I'm the ripe age of seventy-five. We sat down in the comfortable chairs and she at once questioned me about my meeting.
“I thought it would be a travesty to sit inside on such a gorgeous afternoon. Well now don't be all steel-lipped darling, tell me about your appointment. What did Doctor Yellan say?” she asked, handing me a steaming cup of tea.
“At first he wasn't to keen on the idea of my going so far out of the city. He tried to talk me out of it by saying how a person with an impressive resume such as myself would be much better suited at one of the bigger orphanages here in London.”
“Well that's quite a compliment dear, but we both know you want to go to this orphanage—oh blast what's the name of it again? It's a bloody pain to get old sometimes.”
“St. Columb. I told him that was where I was needed, my passion has been giving the children who lost their homes and families in the bombings a new start. He, being the incredibly understanding man that he is, saw my point and is calling the owner of the orphanage as we speak. If he gets in touch with her today, I could leave as early as tomorrow morning.”
“Well cor blimey that's bloody fantastic! How long are you going to be there darling?”
“About two, possibly three months at the least. The last orphanage I was stationed, I worked there for almost a year. I don't think that will be the case with this one though. It's strange...I feel like this is where I need to go. Like I'm being pulled there by some other source greater than myself. Does that sound silly?”
“Oh no, no, no. My dear it doesn't sound silly at all! You're following through on your convictions, I can't think of anything more admiring. If you don't mind my saying so dear, I have a feeling that this will be the assignment that will bring you full circle.”
“You really think so Miss Stewart? You're not just pulling my leg are you?”
“No my dear, I really believe that. You're going to grow more than you ever have. I can guarantee it.”

I remember those words like they were just yesterday; to this day I will never know how Miss Stewart was blessed with the foresight of knowing just how much I would grow from this. I only wished she could have seen what I would have to experience before the growth would start.

II


Just as I had hoped, Doctor Yellan contacted me later that evening and told me that I was ready to go; I could leave the next morning, but I had until Friday to get there so there was no rush. Never being a patient woman about these sorts of things, I immediately began packing; I packed for three months, I thought that would be a sufficient amount of time to aid Mrs. Noll and her daughter with the influx of children that had come to the orphanage.
Perhaps I should explain how I found this tiny little orphanage. I was reading the Times about two weeks prior to my meeting with Doctor Yellan, I always would search for orphanages that needed the assistance of a social worker. You see the orphanages may have had sufficient staff and lodging but when it came to putting the children in good homes, they sometimes had a lapse in judgment. Mostly it was the simple fact that times were very tough; food and space were precious commodities and sometimes the orphanages were so intent on creating more space that they would overlook things they shouldn't. Enter the social worker, we provide the service of inspecting the family that wishes to adopt a child. If they meet the criteria, (mine were very strict, I wasn't going to let just anyone adopt a child) then they sign a form and are free to take the child home.
I came about a fascinating article about St. Columb located in Basildon, the reporter was interviewing Mrs. Noll about her recent increase in children at the orphanage; the orphanage itself is large enough to hold about fifty children, however in the past month or so that number has increased to almost eighty. Mrs. Noll, being the kind and compassionate woman she is, would not turn a child away from her doorstep. “Oh we'll manage somehow. We have before and we will again.” that's what she said in the article. Unfortunately, she didn't have the connections that they do in the city so the children were going unnoticed; while the food supply was dwindling. She was only given a certain amount each month by Parliament to supply food, clothing and other expenses; granted Parliament wasn't stingy by any means, but they weren't prepared to fund that many children. I was so moved by the article that I immediately brought it to Doctor Yellan's attention; I requested that, after my current assignment, I be placed in St. Columb.
I sent a wire to Mrs. Noll, telling her that I would arrive sometime in the afternoon tomorrow. Afterward I began to organise my files, I found myself unable to shake a feeling of enigma. Now I know what the feeling was but at the time I found myself excited, I loved that I felt a pull toward this place. It gave me hope that maybe the heavens were guiding me towards my precious Lynsay, that I would see her again and be able to fulfill the promises that I made to her. On the other hand, I felt a slight feeling of uncertainty; possibly even a bit of fear. These conflicting feelings made sleep impossible that night and before I knew it, it was time for me to get up and depart for the train station.
I managed to catch the early train to Basildon, which wasn't necessarily considered a town when I first arrived. You see in the 1940s, Billericay and Essex County Council, who were scared about the lack of amenities on the area and how it had evolved, petitioned the Government to create a New Town. Basildon was one of eight 'New Towns' created in the South East of England after the passing of the New Towns Act. On January 4 1949, Lewis Silkin, Minister of Town and Country Planning, officially designated Basildon as a 'New Town'. Basildon Development Corporation was formed in February 1949 to transform the designated area into a modern new town.
The train ride was a pleasant one, but dreadfully long. Basildon was much further outside of London than I had anticipated, I was glad that Doctor Yellan hadn't realized this or else he may not have let a young woman of twenty-four go on such a long journey by herself. I finally reached Basildon, and longing for a cup of tea I stopped in one of the small cafe's nearby. I left word at the train station for Mrs. Noll; she was going to be sending someone to meet me there so I didn't want them to think I hadn't come. I took my seat near the window and I relished in the warmth and comfort that the tea brought.
It wasn't long before I heard my name mentioned at the front of the cafe; a tall, handsome, dark-haired man was inquiring about me to the girl behind the counter. I assumed he was one of the workers sent by Mrs. Noll, finding myself staring at him I quickly turned my attention to the magazine in front of me, hiding my scarlet cheeks.
“Miss Winter?” his voice was soft, but I could hear the hint of Irish in it.
“Yes? Who's inquiring?”
“I'm Dougan, Dougan Bardwell.” he replied, sitting down and taking his cap off. “I've been sent here by Mrs. Noll, we received your wire last night. I have to say that everyone's excited for your arrival.”
“Its a pleasure Mr. Bardwell I—“
“Oh please, call me Dougan. Mr. Bardwell makes me feel like my father.” he laughed
“Well then Dougan, I am happy to be here. Shall we go then?”
“Oh don't rush, finish your tea. I'm sure you need it after coming all the way here from London.”
His smile was entrancing, showing off his chiseled jaw and white teeth. His shoulders were broad, leading me to believe that he spent most of his time doing work outdoors. His hair was thick and dark, it came down to the nape of his neck; he was cleanly shaven, and of a darker complexion. His hands had a few callouses on them, but they seemed to be gentle when they needed to be. The most hypnotizing feature about him were his eyes; despite his darker features, they were a bright blue like the sea. I found myself caught up in his gaze.
“Are you alright Miss Winter?”
“Yes, yes. I'm sorry I was just thinking about something.” I stammered, feeling quite a fool.
“Well are you ready? Its about another twenty minutes to St. Columb.” he said, flashing me another paralyzing smile.
“Yes, I think I'm quite ready.”

The ride to the orphanage was much more pleasant than the train ride to Basildon, I was certain it was the company I shared rather than the vehicle we were in.
“How long have you been working for Mrs. Noll Dougan? If you don't mind my inquiring that is.”
“Oh not at all. I've been with St. Columb since it opened. My parents were killed by a bomb they thought was deactivated and I was searching for something to do with my life. I heard about Mrs. Noll and her daughter comin' up on hard times, what with starting this orphanage and all, and I thought I would be of some service doin' somethin'.”
“How noble of you. Did you and your family come here from Ireland? I noticed you have a bit of an accent.”
“My mother did. She met my Da here in England and they got married. Don't worry, I'm only half-Irish.” he smiled
“Well that's a relief. For a minute there I thought I was in the company of a bloody Irishman.” I smiled, he laughed. It was rumored that the English and Irish had a rather nasty rivalry, you wouldn't have known from the lovely conversation that was going on it that car.
“How long have you been in this business of social work Miss Winter?”
“Rachel please, Miss Winter is so formal. I don't want anyone to think I'm unapproachable.”
“Alright then, Rachel.” he smiled at me again.
“I suppose its been almost two years now. I started when the Germans surrendered, and I've been in it ever since.”
“Spot on, why did you choose such an occupation? Let me know if I'm pryin', I don't mean to.”
I smiled, I wasn't sure if I wanted to tell him the real reason or just the generic 'oh I just love children and making them happy'. His eyes were so trusting though....
“I, well I went in it because...”
“Ah bloody hell I'm pryin', I apologize Rachel. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.”
“No, no its okay. You're not prying, you're just trying to make conversation. The main reason I chose this occupation was to find my sister. You see we were separated in a nighttime air-raid almost four years ago...” I stopped, trying to maintain composure. I was unsure why I was telling this story to a man I had just met twenty minutes ago.
“I'm sorry...so you think that someone picked her up and put her in an orphanages' care?”
“Yes, I refuse to believe she's dead. Something tells me she's not...I know that's silly.”
“No it's not, hope is such an uncommon thing these days. Its a relief to talk to someone who hasn't lost it. Most people who were separated from someone they loved durin' that damned Blitz have already assumed that they're dead. You have remarkable strength to go on believin' that your sister is alive.” he said, glancing at me.
“Thank you Dougan...you're one of the few who haven't assumed that she's dead or tell me it's a hopeless cause. And I really appreciate that.”
“Well I do what I can, those kids there are so full of hope and happiness. Some of them have come from the worse situations imaginable, seen things that kids shouldn't see; and yet they still carry this glimmer of faith that they'll get adopted by a loving home. I figure hell, I have no excuse not to have a little faith.” he smiled. “Oh look, we're coming up on St. Columb now.”

I remember the car coming to the top of the hill overlooking the beautiful landscape that surrounded the tiny orphanage, it seemed to almost envelope it. There was a creek that flowed from the back of the house and continued into the small forest that wrapped around the southern part of the property. Never in a thousand years, did I think that such horror could live in a place of serenity.

No comments:

Post a Comment