Wednesday, March 31, 2010

#22: Just a little info on St. Columb

Because I'm paranoid about copyright issues and consider plagiarism one of the worst sins in the creative world, I felt that I need to give you a little information on it, and explain the beginning statement. While the story and idea is all my own, as is most of the characters; the work itself is an attempt to pay homage to one of my favourite authors: Daphne Du Maurier. Some of the characters are inspired by some of her greatest works, anyone who is well-read in the Gothic world of Du Maurier could have probably seen a connection. Allow me to explain:
Rachel Winter: This name is a hybrid of two of my favourite Du Maurier heroines: Rachel Ashley from My Cousin Rachel and the unnamed heroine Mrs. de Winter in her critically acclaimed novel Rebecca. Both novels are written in first-person, told from the new Mrs. de Winter and the aristocratic Phillip Ashley. Just as an inside joke, I also said she was from Manchester, England (across the Atlantic Sea, and I'm a genius, genius...) for my friend Rachel.

Frenchman's Creek boasts the credit for both the title and one of the key characters in the story. St. Columb is the last name of this novel's heroine: Dona St. Columb. Frenchmen's Creek is easily my favourite novel because of how much I can relate to Dona, so I felt it proper to pay homage to that by titling the story in her honor. One of the key children in the story is named Dona Austen, I feel that I don't really need to explain this any further.

Dougan Bardwell has nothing to do with Daphne Du Maurier, but with me. Dougan Bardwell was my Nana's younger brother (I'm assuming that would make him my Grandfather? Or Uncle? I don't know, unfortunately I never met him), so I felt that it would be a nice homage to my family whom I love so very much. Miss Stewart emulates my Nana in the best possible way; just a bit of trivia: My Nana loved Agatha Christie and Mary Stewart novels.

The other characters in the story are also whispers of Du Maurier novels, but I don't want to go into them because we're only five chapters in with much more to come. Besides, a good writer never gives away any secrets and keeps you guessing until the very last page.

Oh stop groaning, you wouldn't want it any other way.
At least that's how I see it ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment