Tuesday, March 23, 2010

St. Columb - Chapter Three

III

Mrs. Noll and her daughter Grace were there to meet me at the door; Dougan dutifully took my bags up to the room I would be staying in. I remember immediately liking Mrs. Noll, she was younger than I expected; she was most likely in her late thirties. Her face still maintained a youthful glow that was framed by dark red hair; she had fine features and pale, pink lips that a brilliant white smile hid behind. Her bright blue eyes were full of patience and kindness. Grace was a carbon copy of her mother, I dare say she was a mirror image of what Emma Noll might have looked when she was younger.
“Rachel Winter, I am Emma Noll.” she said, embracing me and kissing my cheek.
“Mrs. Noll it is so good to finally meet you in person. You have no idea what an honor this is.”
“Call me Emma. Oh please, you're doing us an honor by coming here to our little orphanage. This is my daughter Grace, I wouldn't be able to do much without her.” she said putting her arm around her daughter. Grace stepped forward and shook my hand.
“Hello Miss. Winter, it's such a pleasure to meet you.” she said, smiling shyly.
“You may call me Rachel. Miss Winter is far too formal, besides I have a feeling we'll all be friends before long.”
“Alright Miss—I mean Rachel.” She replied, her smile getting wider.
“Come inside, I've prepared a small meal for you. I knew you would be hungry after that long train ride.” Emma said, putting her arm around me.
“Oh thank you so much, I am rather hungry.”
“Afterward we can show you around, but not before you eat.”
“Its like you read my thoughts.” I smiled
The main house, where I would be staying, was a large, three story farm house. It had a spacious den with a large fireplace and rather impressive library; the den led into the kitchen which wasn't as big as one would think after seeing the den, but it was cozy. I was seated at the table and was educated on what Emma's interpretation of a 'small' meal was. I was served a glorious helping of homemade beef stew, accompanied by generous slices of fresh-baked bread, a fresh salad and warm apple cider.
“This is wonderful Emma, really how do you manage to feed all of these children, and now me?”
“Well as you know I can't turn a child away, I would never be able to live with myself. When food started to become an issue I began to grow my own. All of our vegetables and dairy are farm fresh, I had Dougan build a small greenhouse to keep the garden in a growing season a bit longer than normal and we have three dairy cows and about fifteen chickens. We still have to rely on the market for food, especially during the colder months when the garden isn't prospering as much, but growing our own food alone saved a bundle. It also allowed me to store some money away in case of an emergency. That's something that the children don't know.”
“Astonishing, absolutely astonishing Emma! Your resourcefulness is something to be admired.”
“Oh please dearie you're giving me too much credit, when one has eighty children in addition to her own to look after one has no choice but to be resourceful.” she laughed. “Well I see that you've eaten everything, it's good to see a young woman with a healthy appetite. Shall I show you to your room then around the orphanage?”
“Yes, I would quite enjoy that.”
My room was small, but very comfortable; the bed was in the far corner next to the window, one could sit there and look out over the creek that flowed into the forest. I had my own bathroom and a rather spacious closet and dressing table.
“I hope this is suitable for you.”
“Oh yes very much, its much better than some of the previous lodging's I've had on assignments.”
“I thought you would prefer a room away from the children. While I do adore them, I am so grateful to be able to come up to the house and relish in the peace and quiet.” Emma laughed “My room is just down the hall, and Grace's is right next door. Dougan sleeps in the attic, the stairs are located at the end of the hall here. If you ever need anything, just knock on one of our doors and don't hesitate! We don't expect you to know everything my dear.”
“That's good to know. Now, if you don't mind, could we go and see the children?”
“Of course my dear. Come on then.”

I can't describe what an excitement I felt in that moment, it was quite childish really knowing what I know now. However I tried to maintain my professional demeanor, I was after all here on a rather difficult assignment. Doctor Yellan informed me that in order to consider this trip worthwhile, I would have to make sure that at least twenty or thirty children would go to good homes. It doesn't sound like much but when you consider the location being miles from any sort of city, well it adds a rather beastly challenge.
The orphanage was built on a large area of land behind Emma's house, standing four stories; it was a humble looking building of a rectangular architecture and had a tin roof. Though the building from the outside looked rather gloomy, once you entered the doors it was like a whole new world. The downstairs area was sectioned off into four parts; the first part was somewhat of a makeshift school, complete with desks and chairs, along with a chalkboard and a few books. The second part was the mess hall, which had several long tables accompanied by chairs, and a large open kitchen in the back. The third part a reading and indoor play area, reserved for the older or quieter children; it boasted several books, games and a humble fireplace. The fourth part was housing for the staff, which was about twenty-five or so; there were two cooks, a nurse, a schoolmaster, and a head governess along with several others who simply provided companionship for the children. The next three floors were reserved for housing for the children; their ages ranged from two to seventeen, once they turned eighteen they had to be sent into the city to learn how to work and earn a living. I was amazed at how such a tiny orphanage could be so resourceful; I found later that Emma Noll was no mouse. If something was needed for those children, she would fight tooth and nail until she got it.
Emma showed me the layout of each room before taking me upstairs to show me the childrens' living quarters, which were very acceptable despite the influx of children. As we reached the top floor, I noticed a boy sitting in the window at the end of the hallway.
“Who is that? Is he one of the older ones?” I asked her quietly
“Oh yes, that's little Robby Spaniel. Though he's not quite little anymore, he used to be a gangly thing I would imagine he's about seventeen now. He was brought here when he was quite young and was nothing but skin and bones. His parents were murdered by Nazi's when they invaded his home, the poor dear saw it all so he doesn't say much; he's a bit of a worry to me because he always seems to be brooding on something.”
“Would it be alright if I were to go and have a word with him?”
“Oh no, not at all. He is very shy though, just to be warned.”
I made my way toward the end of the hallway, upon hearing my footsteps he looked my way. He seemed to quiver a bit so I made sure that my movements were slow and calm.
“Hello, is it alright if I sit here?” I asked quietly, smiling at him. He shook his head and pulled his feet into his chest to make room for me. I'll never forget his face, it will be etched in my mind until the day I die. My first impression was a boy who hadn't quite reached the end of puberty. He was a little homely with brown eyes, one of them lazy and he had greasy brown hair that was kept short. His complexion was pale, with thin lips that hid his crooked teeth; his ears added a comical aspect to his body as they stuck out away from his head. His body was still gangly, but his arms indicated that he did do some sort of lifting.
“My name is Rachel, might I inquire yours?” I asked him as I sat down. He glanced at me sideways, unsure of what to make of me.
“Robby.” he said quietly.
“Well Robby it's awfully nice to meet you. I'm not bothering you am I?”
“N—no...I was just...thinking. I sit here everyday in the afternoon.”
“It is a pleasant place, it seems very peaceful.”
“I—it is....I like it. If you don't m—mind my asking Miss, where did you come from?”
“I don't mind at all. I came from London, I'm a social worker.”
“A—are you the one t—that's going to help Mrs. Emma for a while?”
“Yes I am. I'm going to make sure that you all go to loving homes and are comfortable here.”
“Y—You're not going to send me away are you?”
“Send you away?”
“Y—yes....send me away from here....”
“I'm not sure I understand Robby....”
“This is my home. I don't want any other.” and with that he quietly got up and walked down the hallway, acknowledging Emma as he went down the stairs. Emma sighed and sat down next to me.
“He's been our biggest challenge, he arrived here four years ago and for the first few months we couldn't get him to say two words or play with the other children. He soon came into his own in time but he's been adamant about not leaving. I think he's afraid to, this has been the only solid home he's known, and with him witnessing such an event as he has...well part of me feels for the boy. However I can't keep him here for much longer, he's going to turn eighteen in the summer.”
“Well perhaps I can help with him. I've had experiences with children like him in the past, maybe I can get him to see reason.”
“Oh that would be a miracle.” Emma laughed and stood. “Well come on then, let me show you out back. That's where most of the children are right now.”

I was shown out back, which boasted an impressive playground and an open field. Most of the children were either on the equipment or playing a game of cricket out in the field; however some of them were reading underneath the shade of the trees that ran along the creek. I felt such a feeling of joy then, seeing the children playing gave me a sense of utter delight and reminded me how innocent life can be. As I was surveying the landscape, a particular girl sitting close-by caught my eye; she was reading at the foot of a mighty spruce that sat close to the riverbank. Emma caught my glance and smiled,
“That's Lyn. She's been here for about three years, she's also about seventeen.”
My heart stopped, I must have looked pale because I felt Emma's hand gently grasp my arm.
“Rachel darling are you alright? You look ill all of a sudden.”
“W—what did you say her name was? And her age?”
“She calls herself Lyn, she's seventeen. Why do you ask?”
Before I could answer I saw her stand, she turned to face us. She was slightly shorter than I, with honey colored hair; I wanted to signal her to come this way, but she was already walking toward us her attention still to her book.
“Lyn darling, come here there's someone I want you to meet.”

My heart began to race as she made her way toward us; it couldn't be, it just couldn't. She stopped to give Emma a hug, when she turned her attention to me I noticed the color of her eyes. They were a unique shade, much like mine.

2 comments:

  1. this is sooo good. i cant wait for the next chapter. your description of robby had me in stitches laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was soooo hard not to over-do it because there was so much more I could say about him. I wanted to maintain class though ;D

    Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete