Thursday, February 11, 2010

#13: How to deal....

...with Debbie Downers.

Yes, we all have a Debbie Downer in our social group. That one person who, no matter how wonderful or exciting the news it, manages to find something negative or sad about the situation. They literally rain on your parade and you are momentarily sad when you should be happy. There's only one way to deal with them:

Shoot them.

I'm only half serious...anyway, moving on. The main point is that some people's entire existence is dependent upon making you feel a crappy as they do. It really sounds pathetic when you look at it like that doesn't it? I mean really with all of the super awesome things there are to do with your life, they choose to make others feel like crap so they can feel better. Then there are those Debbie Downers are just plain annoying because they really don't try to make you feel like crap, but they're just so damn pessimistic that you're like 'Dude...you're sucking the positive energy out of my zen here.'

In my experience, I've had to deal with both; Lets call them Debbie A and Debbie B. Debbie A types usually are the ones that tell me I can't (or shouldn't) do something because it simply isn't done around here. They're the ones that get in my way of organizing events such as The Vagina Monologues at my community college, saying that they'll do it with the hopes that it won't be 'financially plausible'. Because nobody will come to it because the other college in Salisbury is doing it. Nevermind that the interpretation varies with actresses.

Or the people who found out I was marching for Marraige Equality for ALL and tried to discouraged me from going. Saying that 'it won't change anything' or 'why would you want to go march with a bunch of faggots?' things like that. Then Debbie B always shows up when something awesome happens. Like when I get one of the parallel parking spots in front of school and I'm all excited about it; then Debbie B comes up and is like 'wow that'll only happen once in a blue moon' or 'what's the big deal? Its just a parking spot, I got it once too'

Debbie Downers can be incredibly contagious, and they can even get to you; making you wonder why you're doing what you're doing. Why you're fighting a cause that seems like its a loosing battle. Well my dear friends I'll tell you why you're doing it:

Because it matters to you. Its something that you're passionate about. Nothing was ever accomplished by people sitting on their ass feeling apathetic. If something fires you up and gets you mad then do something about it. There will always be people out there who will try to discourage you and rain on your parade. Honestly I wouldn't have been able to do half the stuff that I have done, had someone not told me I couldn't do it.

So how do you deal? Simple: Tell them you can when they say you can't.

At least, that's how I see it.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment