Saturday, May 1, 2010

Column # 23: A Peek into my iTunes: Power to the Vag

Yes that's right, power to the vag. I don't know what possessed me to do this column on women singers/songwriters, oh wait yes I do. I'm a feminist ;] As you can imagine, the possibilities were endless; I decided to narrow it down to a few, more recent women who have come to be my favourites in the last years:

Madonna, let me count the ways you empower me. This is the perfect selection for anyone who is just starting to get into Madonna. It has all of her hits that you've heard on radio stations, plus a few of her less known ones as well. Her music preaches originality, encourages not to settle for second best and stresses the importance of being comfortable in yourself. She started a revolution, one of female sexuality and being comfortable in your own skin, and its one that my next singer is taking to a whole new level....

Oh Lady Gaga...where to begin. Well lets start off with the outfits. She's worn everything from something that looked like it was made from the slaughter of Kermit the Frog dolls, a fabulously dressed lion, the Phantom of the Opera experimenting with a bedazzled machine and something from a Poe short story. Like many people, I definitely raised my eyebrows. I bought her album and fell in love with the music, both the techno like sound and the incredibly well-written lyrics. All one has to do to appreciate Gaga is listen to her lyrics, seriously this chic can pen some amazing lyrics that can compete with the best poets. This is coming from someone who is hardcore about poetry and lyrics; I can't stand it when people call a song 'amazing' and it's nothing but the same thing repeating over and over again. With Gaga, she explores everything from experimenting with your sexuality to date rape. She is definitely an artist I respect...and I really would love to raid her closet.

Speaking of empowerment through songwriting...may I introduce Sara Bareillies. I honestly can't think of anything more empowering to women in the entertainment industry than those who write their own songs. Her songs a witty, with clear motives and beautiful use of language.

I love Kat DeLuna. I really do, she's responsible for getting me off of my ass and on a treadmill. This particular song is very empowering, taking the stance of 'I don't give a shit what you say'. I first thought she wrote it for me honestly, because its very much like myself: "You can talk all you want but my skin is really thick, I'm the leader of the crowd and my game is really slick." See? So me. This is the song you want to listen to before a huge exam or board meeting, trust me your confidence will go through the roof.

Fergiliscious def. Fergie is my girl because she basically takes this 'fuck off' attitude when she writes her songs. I love this CD because it's so diverse, from upbeat, get off your ass and dance numbers such as 'London Bridge' to intimate and serious once such as 'Big Girls Don't Cry'. Her titles and lyrics are just as inventive and unique as she is and they make this Black Eyed Pea stand up just fine by herself.

Do I really need to explain how amazing this is again? Okay fine...'Because I am a Wife'. Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment